Monday, July 13, 2009

Girl's Camp


Kimberly, Holly, Kim & Shauna -
some of my closest friends

Jenny Phillips after her amazing fireside
(you can't tell in the photo, but I had been crying....a lot)

another amazing friend....Kim

- Spring Hollow Ward Young Women Leaders-
Alicia, Martha, Holly, Jeneil, Lis & Shauna
This was Willow's first year to attend Girl's Camp and I was so grateful to be there with her. I was released fromYoung Women's last December, but was given a last minute calling as Assistant Camp Leader, so I could justify my time at camp. These leaders are such great women and even better friends! Our camp was in Heber at the new Marjorie Hinckly campsites. Sister Hinckley's vision was that the girl's should focus on having fun and not have as many discomforts of camping. Just another reason to love Sister Hinckley. We slept in cabins and each camp area had bathrooms, showers and a pavilion with picnic tables.
On the third night of camp Jenny Phillips came and performed a fireside. She's a singer and songwriter who writes a lot of songs for the church. She had an amazing testimony and spirit she brought with her. I was in tears after her first song. All of the songs about following the Savior's light have just as much relevance for me as a 38 year old single mother, as they do for these young girls. I wanted to thank her personally after the fireside and she was gracious enough to have her picture taken with me.
I have missed serving in Young Women's. I loved the sisters I served with and consider them among my closest friends. I also miss sharing those experiences with Willow. Willow had so much fun and got along with all of the girls in the ward. She was one of only 2 beehives "allowed" to sleep in the same cabin as the laurels. She was told many times how "cute and little" she is.
Willow and I left camp a day early to drive to Rexburg for Weston's baseball tournament. We missed the last night with the bishopric and testimony meeting, but Willow said, "That's ok, cuz we don't have to help clean the cabins."

No comments: