Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!
_____________
Although 2008 has been filled with trials that were unexpected I still find myself feeling very blessed. I have so many things to be grateful for despite what our family is going through. I have had so many friends call me to see how we are doing. I have had friends bring me a drink =) when they knew I wouldn't be able to get out of the house. I've had dinners brought to us just because. I've had friends at work offer to cover shifts for me when I haven't been able to leave home in the evening. My neighbor across the street takes my garbage cans out for me each week. Another neighbor has made sure whenever it snows that my driveway gets shoveled before I take my kids to school.
__________________________
I am discovering there are still things Heavenly Father wants me to learn. This earth life is a continual refining process. Each trial I've gone through has given me a better perspective and taught me to be more empathetic to others who have gone through something similar. By sharing parts of my experiences with others I'm finding that everyone is going through a trial of one kind or another and we need to be there for each other. We have opportunities to serve every day. I'm trying to do a better job of serving others. It's easy to get so wrapped up in my current situation that I forget everyone around me has something they're trying to deal with and understand.
___________________________
There are three talks from the October session of General Conference I am trying to remember and implement in my day to day life. The first talk was by Elder Neil L. Andersen, "You Know Enough." No matter how much I don't understand or feel like I don't know, I need to remind myself I know enough. I know enough about prayer. I know enough about faith. I know enough about going to the temple for personal revelation. I may not know everything, but I know enough.
___________________________
The second talk was by Elder David A. Bednar, "Pray Always." He shared a story about a time when he had a General Authority staying with them while he was president of BYU-Idaho. The same day the General Authority had come they had learned one of their friends had died unexpectedly. The General Authority didn't know about this bad news and when they gave their evening prayer he asked Sister Bednar to only express gratitude and ask for nothing. Her prayer included gratitude for experiences they had shared with this friend, gratitude for the Holy Ghost and for the plan of salvation. Despite everything going on in my marriage right now I still have a lot to be grateful for. I am grateful for four, healthy, beautiful kids; for my mom and dad and my siblings who all live close by and are always willing to help me; for friends who have taken such good care of me...physically and emotionally; and for the gospel.
________________________________
The third talk was given by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, "The Ministry of Angels." He said whether angels are "....seen or unseen they are always near."
"Not all angels are from the other side of the veil. Some of them we walk with and talk with -- here, now, every day. Some of them reside in our own neighborhoods. Some of them gave birth to us...."
"Indeed heaven never seems closer than when we see the love of God manifested in the kindness and devotion of people so good and so pure that angelic is the only word that comes to mind."
"...may we all try to be a little more angelic ourselves - with a kind word, a strong arm, a declaration of faith..."
I have been blessed to have many earthly angels in my life in friends and family.
___________________________
President Monson said that "....what is most important almost always involves the people around us."
"Despite the changes which come into our lives...may we fill our days - as much as we can - with those things which matter most."
"...express our gratitude always and thus find joy in the journey."
____________________________
Some of my resolutions for the new year include...
*being a better friend - I want to be the friend who makes the phone call when prompted by the spirit and the friend who can be called for a favor any time
*pray more - now, more than ever, I rely on heavenly guidance and I can't have that guidance if I'm not talking with my Heavenly Father every day
*attend the temple regularly - at least once a month
*be a more patient mother - I want my kids to feel peace when they are at home
*renew old friendships - I want to get in touch with friends from high school and college who I still think about and who left me a better person
*help my kids be each others friends - I want to spend more time with our immediate family taking small trips or trying new hobbies or sports
_____________________________
Thanks to my friends and family who have brought me joy this year.
My goal is to find as much joy as possible in 2009!
______________________________

4 comments:

Kirsti said...

You are amazing! Thanks for making me want to be a better person. I am thnakful I have such an amazing friend like you Holls! I hope you recover from your cold soon.

Unknown said...

Hi Holly! I'm so glad I had a chance to talk to you yesterday, even if only for a minute in primary whispers! I have a job lead for you, but I don't have your e-mail. Will you e-mail me at elledesigncottage[at]gmail[dot]com. LYL

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Once again, I'm touched by the person you are and the pure spirit you have. Thanks holly!!! I'm excited to work with you on Thursdays and Fridays now for a couple months.